Friday, 9 December 2011

FLIGHT OF FANTASY


We were booked on a Mumbai-Kolkata flight. My brother and I got to the airport in good time. We finished our check-in and security formalities. We settled down in the plush departure lounge awaiting the departure announcement. Gate 4A said the boarding card and we were sitting right across it. Soon enough came the voice over the loudspeaker asking Kolkata bound passengers to head for boarding the plane. 
        We got into the waiting bus and were driven across the tarmac to the plane. The air hostess greeted us with a cheerful smile and directed us to our seats. We made ourselves comfortable and were waiting for the other passengers to settle down and then finally take-off. We seemed to be surrounded on all sides by a large number of Malayalis. I told my brother that maybe a large number of tourists were heading for a holiday to Kolkata. My brother told me that the North-East was a popular tourist destination and it was likely that all these people were proceeding to Kolkata and beyond.
        While we were browsing through the in-flight magazine, I saw two air hostesses looking towards us and having an animated discussion. I wondered why? My brother told me that it was natural and as per him the air hostesses were discussing how well behaved the two (us!)handsome young men were! I was quite happy with this explanation. I was getting restless and wondering why the flight was not taking off. We suddenly saw the air hostess approaching us with a big scowl on her face. My brother explained to me that she probably wanted to upgrade us to the Business Class. I was certainly looking forward to that. She came to us and asked us in not-so-friendly a tone, “Which place are you catching a flight to?” I thought it was a silly question but replied, “Kolkata!” A look of horror crossed her face and she rolled her eyeballs and screamed hysterically, “This flight is going to Calicut!” Realization dawned on me-that explained the unusually large number of Malayalee tourists to Kolkata!! The goof up, we were told, was on account of the buses for the Kolkata and Calicut flights standing adjacent to each other outside Gate 4A. We had been herded into the wrong bus by one of the ground staff. Truly, a case of missing the bus…

1 comment:

  1. Really funny! Would have been quite an experience if you had actually taken off for Calicut!!!

    ReplyDelete